As you’ve likely heard, I’ll be with my lovely spouse, son, and newly 21 year old daughter in Las Vegas this week. I’m pleased that the class’s substitute teacher will be Mr. Bob Szobody, formerly of Elbert County Charter School/Legacy Academy.
MAP testing (reading, math, language, and science), which was cancelled last week, will take place from 2 – 2:45 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The NWEA Parent Toolkit, a resource guide for parents, includes “Frequently Asked Questions” regarding NWEA assessment.
Flashcards. In the box.net sidebar to your right, “Week 13” includes Quizlet.com links to flashcards for:
- Open Court vocabulary, and
- multiplication facts
Starting a business project. Also in “Week 13” is a project guide to assist your child create a business plan for a fictional business. It will be due the first full week of December.
Please check this blog and their planners each night:
Math. We will continue with assignments in the classroom. The classwork becomes homework if it’s not completed in class. They should, however, have plenty of time in class to complete their work. They will test this week.
(Math group) Keyboards classwork schedule for week:
- Monday – thru Lesson 18 – Temperature
- Tuesday – thru Lesson 19 – Elapsed Time Problems (see Khan Academy video “Time Differences 1”
- Wednesday – thru Lesson 20 – Rounding (see Khan Academy videos “Rounding Whole Numbers 1…2…3”)
- Thursday – thru Investigation 2 – Units of Length and Perimeter (small group work) (see Khan Academy video “Perimeter and Area Basics”)
- Friday – Test 3A
(Math group) Tapes classwork schedule for week:
- Monday – thru Lesson 18 – Multiplying 3 Factors and Missing Factors
- Tuesday – thru Lesson 19 – Relationship between Multiplication and Division (see Khan Academy videos “Basic Multiplication” and “Division 1”)
- Wednesday – thru Lesson 20 – Three Ways to Show Division
- Thursday – thru Investigation 2 – Fractions: Halves, Fourths, and Tenths (small group work)
- Friday – Test 4A
Keyboards and Tapes should practice their multiplication facts daily at http://quizlet.com/421821 .
Daily Oral Language (DOL). Students edit two sentences daily in class and will test on some of the same sentences each Friday. Additionally, students will edit two similar sentences weekly for a quiz grade (to see if they can apply their newfound editing knowledge).
Spelling. Students are now copying their spelling words into their planners on Mondays.
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
All testing in my classes will occur this Thursday and Friday as follows (again, you can download printable study guides for reading and language arts at “Week 13″ in the sidebar on the right):
- Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll practice test on some of the sentences edited each morning in class. Look for:
- –Practice sentences, and
- –Answer key (available Monday night)
- –Spelling list (available Monday night)
- –Vocabulary words (available Monday night)
- Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test.
- –“Food From the ‘Hood: A Garden of Hope“ (study guide available online)