Your kids will become 5th graders in 8.5 school days.
For your calendar:
- May 13, K-8 Dress of Choice
- May 18, 8:15 am – 2:45 pm, Paint Mines Interpretive Park, Calhan, Colorado (click here for more details about the field trip)
Star of the Week. Each star will need to talk briefly about the photographs and artifacts they bring in to share and field questions from the crowd:
- May 11: Dalton
- May 17 (Tuesday): Jordan
Every Monday, parents should:
- Check the “Twitter Feed″ in the sidebar on the right for upcoming events
- Go through their student’s Monday Folder, and
- Download the printable study guides (“Week 37″ in the sidebar on the right) for this Friday’s reading and language arts tests
Please check the “Twitter Feed″ in the sidebar each night.
Math 5. Problem sets 103-106 will be due as homework this week. They will test this
Spelling. To clarify:
- every student has the same spelling list
every student has a spelling list at their individual spelling level as determined by their Morrison-McCall test results (several kids spell well beyond the fourth grade age level).
- a copy of their list is sent home in their Monday Folder and a duplicate list is kept at school
They must choose 10 words from their list and:
- look up their definitions and their parts of speech, and
- write 10 excellent sentences (if they are 10 years old, their sentences should have at least 10 words)
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
Shurley Grammar. No testing this week, however, students will work with sentence classification.
All testing in my classes will occur this Friday as follows (again, you can download printable study guides for reading and language arts at “Week 37″ in the sidebar on the right):
* Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll practice test on some of the sentences edited each morning in class. Look for:
–Practice sentences, and
* –Answer key (available Monday night)
* Spelling. Students will test on their
individualized spelling list.
* –Spelling list (available Monday night)
* –Vocabulary words (available Monday night)
* Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test. Students will read and discuss the story in class.
* –”Martha Helps a Rebel” (a study guide is available online)