Silly Hair Day, 4.15.11
Your kids will become 5th graders in 22.5 school days.
For your calendar:
- April 19, north entrance, 7am – 7pm. Legacy Academy school board election.
- April 22, K-8 Dress of Choice.
- April 22, flag pole, 8am, Morrison family sign dedication.
Star of the Week. Each star will need to talk briefly about the photographs and artifacts they bring in to share and field questions from the crowd:
- April 20: Jessica
- April 27: Reese
- May 4: Brittany V.
- May 11: Dalton
- May 17 (Tuesday): Jordan
Every Monday, parents should:
- Check the “Twitter Feed″ in the sidebar on the right for upcoming events
- Go through their student’s Monday Folder, and
- Download the printable study guides (“Week 34″ in the sidebar on the right) for this Friday’s reading and language arts tests
Please check the “Twitter Feed″ in the sidebar each night.
Math 5. Problem sets 90-97 will be due as homework this week. Two problem sets will be assigned per day as follows: even numbered lessons, do even numbered problems only; odd numbered lessons, do odd numbered problems only. They will test this
Daily Oral Language (DOL). There are no more weekly practice sentences or tests for the remainder of the school year. They will, however, continue to have a weekly DOL quiz beginning after Spring Break.
Spelling. To clarify:
- every student has a spelling list at their individual spelling level as determined by their Morrison-McCall test results (several kids spell well beyond the fourth grade age level).
- a copy of their list is sent home in their Monday Folder and a duplicate list is kept at school
They must choose 10 words from their list and:
- look up their definitions and their parts of speech, and
- write 10 excellent sentences (if they are 10 years old, their sentences should have at least 10 words)
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
Shurley Grammar. No testing this week, however, students will work with sentence classification.
All testing in my classes will occur this Friday as follows (again, you can download printable study guides for reading and language arts at “Week 34″ in the sidebar on the right):
* Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll practice test on some of the sentences edited each morning in class. Look for:
–Practice sentences, and
* –Answer key (available Monday night)
* Spelling. Students will test on their individualized spelling list.
* –Spelling list (available Monday night)
* –Vocabulary words (available Monday night)
* Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test. Students will read and discuss the story in class.
* –”Pocahontas” (a study guide is NOT available online)