Spring Break was ¡muy bueno!
Your kids will become 5th graders in 37.5 school days.
For your calendar:
- March 30-31, CSAP testing, math.
- April 1, Pajama Day fundraiser, $2.
- April 14, Legacy Academy gym, 6:30-8 pm. Second iSchool community informational meeting and pre-registration.
Regarding CSAP testing (Wednesday and Thursday). Please:
- Make certain your kiddo gets some sleep and breakfast
- Kids in my class will take spelling, vocabulary, and a DOL quiz on Friday
- We will spend two weeks on the Open Court selection, “Early America.”‘ There will be NO Open Court comprehension test this Friday)
- Math 5 students will only have homework on Monday and Thursday night, but will test on Friday
To repeat: no homework Tuesday or Wednesday night due to CSAP testing.
Star of the Week. Each star will need to talk briefly about the photographs and artifacts they bring in to share and field questions from the crowd:
- March 30: Nicholas
- April 6: Abby
- April 13: Sarah
- April 20: Brittany V.
- April 27: Reese
- May 4: Jessica
- May 11: Dalton
- May 17 (Tuesday): Jordan
Every Monday, parents should:
- Check the “Twitter Feed″ in the sidebar on the right for upcoming events
- Go through their student’s Monday Folder, and
- Download the printable study guides (“Week 31″ in the sidebar on the right) for this Friday’s reading and language arts tests
Please check the “Twitter Feed″ in the sidebar each night.
Math 5. Problem sets 80-81 will be due as homework this week. They will test this
Daily Oral Language (DOL). There are no more weekly practice sentences or tests for the remainder of the school year. They will, however, continue to have a weekly DOL quiz beginning after Spring Break.
Spelling. Due to CSAP:
- every student has the same spelling list
at their individual spelling level as determined by their Morrison-McCall test results (several kids spell well beyond the fourth grade age level).
- a copy of their list is sent home in their Monday Folder and a duplicate list is kept at school
They must choose 10 words from their list and:
- look up their definitions and their parts of speech, and
- write 10 excellent sentences (if they are 10 years old, their sentences should have at least 10 words)
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
Shurley Grammar. No testing this week, however, students will work with sentence classification.
All testing in my classes will occur this Friday as follows (again, you can download printable study guides for reading and language arts at “Week 31″ in the sidebar on the right):
* Spelling. Students will test on their individualized spelling list.
* –Spelling list (available Monday night)
* –Vocabulary words (available Monday night)
* Open Court. Due to CSAP, the reading test will occur in two weeks.
The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test. Students will read and discuss the story in class.
* –”Early America” (a study guide is NOT available online)