February 11. Dress of choice day for all 2nd quarter A and A/B honor roll students.
You can find out how to get Twitter (text message) updates about Mr. T’s classroom here. The updates will clarify “school stuff” that can’t wait until my weekly blog post.
Our remaining field trips have been scheduled. Parent volunteers are still needed (thanks to all who have already committed):
- March 9: sheep lung dissections with Denver Museum of Nature and Science staff in the Legacy Academy science lab
- May 18: Paint Mines Interpretive Park, Calhan, Colorado
Star of the Week. Wednesday, February 9: Jalen. Each star will need to talk briefly about the photographs and artifacts they bring in to share and field questions from the crowd. On deck (February 16): Caleb. In the hole (February 23): Greg.
Every Monday, parents should:
- Check the “Twitter Feed″ in the sidebar on the right for upcoming events
- Go through their student’s Monday Folder, and
- Download the printable study guides (“Week 24″ in the sidebar on the right) for this Friday’s reading and language arts tests
Please check the “Twitter Feed″ in the sidebar each night.
Math 5. Problem sets 65-68 will be due as homework this week. They will test this Friday.
Daily Oral Language (DOL). Students edit two sentences daily in class and will test on some of the same sentences each Friday. Additionally, students will edit two similar sentences weekly for a quiz grade (to see if they can apply their newfound editing knowledge).
Spelling. Every student has a spelling list at their individual spelling level as determined by their Morrison-McCall test results (several kids spell well beyond the fourth grade age level). A copy of their list is sent home in their Monday Folder and a duplicate list kept at school.
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
Shurley Grammar. No testing this week, however, students will work with sentence classification.
All testing in my classes will occur this Friday as follows (again, you can download printable study guides for reading and language arts at “Week 24″ in the sidebar on the right):
* Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll practice test on some of the sentences edited each morning in class. Look for:
* –Practice sentences, and
* –Answer key (available Monday night)
* Spelling. Students will test on their individualized spelling list.
* –Spelling list (available Monday night)
* –Vocabulary words (available Monday night)
* Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test. Students will read and discuss the story in class.
* –”The Big Wave” (a study guide is NOT available online)