January 25 / 6:30 – 7:30 pm. 1st – 4th grade parent meeting with Legacy Academy’s Board of Directors.
January 28. K-8 Dress of Choice Day for all students.
Our remaining field trips (pertaining to science and Colorado history) have been scheduled. Parent volunteers will be needed:
- March 9: sheep lung dissections with Denver Museum of Nature and Science staff in the Legacy Academy science lab
- May 18: Paint Mines Interpretive Park, Calhan, Colorado
I’ve made some spelling/writing weekly homework changes for the 3rd quarter:
- 10 (versus 20) definitions including parts of speech, and
- 10 (versus 20) sentences
Star of the Week. Wednesday, January 26: Casey. Each star will need to talk briefly about the photographs and artifacts they bring in to share and field questions from the crowd. On deck (February 2: Ricky. In the hole (February 9): Jalen.
Every Monday, parents should:
- Check the “Twitter Feed″ in the sidebar on the right for upcoming events
- Go through their student’s Monday Folder, and
- Download the printable study guides (“Week 22″ in the sidebar on the right) for this Friday’s reading and language arts tests
Please check the blog each night.
Math 5. Problem sets 60-63 will be due as homework this week. They will test this Friday.
Daily Oral Language (DOL). Students edit two sentences daily in class and will test on some of the same sentences each Friday. Additionally, students will edit two similar sentences weekly for a quiz grade (to see if they can apply their newfound editing knowledge).
Spelling. Every student has a spelling list at their individual spelling level as determined by their Morrison-McCall test results (several kids spell well beyond the fourth grade age level). A copy of their list is sent home in their Monday Folder and a duplicate list kept at school.
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
Shurley Grammar. No testing this week, however, students will work with sentence classification.
All testing in my classes will occur this Friday as follows (again, you can download printable study guides for reading and language arts at “Week 22″ in the sidebar on the right):
* Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll practice test on some of the sentences edited each morning in class. Look for:
* –Practice sentences, and
* –Answer key (available Monday night)
* Spelling. Students will test on their individualized spelling list.
* –Spelling list (available Monday night)
* –Vocabulary words (available Monday night)
* Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test. Students will read and discuss the story in class.
* –”Arctic Explorer: The Story of Matthew Henson” (a study guide is available online)