The very bad news: As of November 16, 2008, the Fourth Grade website is not working. None of the web pages can be updated. So while you may be able to access individual web pages, the information on them is not timely. Customer service at the web host, Geocities, has been contacted.
As a result, DOL, spelling and vocabulary lists, and the Open Court story will be made available this week in a hard copy. Please look for this packet in your student’s Monday Folder. I don’t know what is going on. Sorry for the inconvenience.
The very good news. We have all next week off for Thanksgiving Break. I know I’m thankful.
Progress reports for Mr. T’s classes are in the Monday Folder.
Science fair is December 4 (the week after the Thanksgiving break). All information concerning the Legacy Academy science fair is available online right here. All student projects have been approved. They may begin data collection. I will check their progress every Monday until the science fair begins.
Every Monday, parents should look for these two things:
- *This Week’s Assignments (in the sidebar on the right), and
- the current issue of my classroom newsletter, Mr. T’s Tattler
Star of the Week. Wednesday, November 19: Ashley. Each star will need to talk briefly about the photographs and artifacts they bring in to share and field questions from the crowd. Next week’s Star is Becca.
Math 65. Problem sets 53 – 56 will be due as homework this week. They will test on Friday.
Daily Oral Language (DOL). Students edit two sentences daily in class and will test on some of the same sentences each Friday. Additionally, students will edit two similar sentences weekly for a quiz grade (to see if they can apply their newfound editing knowledge).
Spelling. Students take a 20 word pretest from Open Court every Friday or Monday. On the following Friday, students test only upon the words they misspelled on the pretest plus words at their spelling level as determined by their Morrison-McCall test results (several kids spell well beyond the fourth grade age level). This means every student has an individualized spelling list each week of 10 to 20 words. A copy of their list is sent home in their Monday Folder and a duplicate list kept at school.
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
Shurley Grammar. No testing this week, however, students will be classifying pattern 2 sentences and working with synonyms and antonyms.
All testing in my classes will occur this Friday as follows:
- Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll practice test on some of the sentences edited each morning in class. Click on the links for:
- –Practice sentences
- –Answer key
- Spelling. Students will test on their individualized spelling list.
- –Open Court spelling words (remember that their individualized spelling list may bear little resemblance to the Open Court spelling words)
- –Vocabulary words
- Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test.
- –Sewed Up His Heart (study guide is not available online)