Second quarter begins today.
Today’s Tattler discusses falling test scores in Open Court.
Science fair is December 4. A packet concerning the Legacy Academy science fair went home last Wednesday (all information included in the packet is available here online). A list of 3-5 project ideas will need to be returned by your student this Wednesday.
Every Monday, parents should look for these two things:
- *This Week’s Assignments (in the sidebar on the right), and
- the current issue of my classroom newsletter, Mr. T’s Tattler
Star of the Week. Wednesday, October 22: Matthew L. Each star will need to talk briefly about the photographs and artifacts they bring in to share and field questions from the crowd. Next week’s Star is Patrick.
Math 65. Problem sets 37 – 40 will be due as homework this week. They will test this Friday.
Daily Oral Language (DOL). Students edit two sentences daily in class and will test on some of the same sentences each Friday. Additionally, students will edit two similar sentences weekly for a quiz grade (to see if they can apply their newfound editing knowledge).
Spelling. Students take a 20 word pretest from Open Court every Friday or Monday. On the following Friday, students test only upon the words they misspelled on the pretest plus words at their spelling level as determined by their Morrison-McCall test results (several kids spell well beyond the fourth grade age level). This means every student has an individualized spelling list each week of 10 to 20 words. A copy of their list is sent home in their Monday Folder and a duplicate list kept at school.
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
Shurley Grammar. No testing this week, however, students will be classifying sentences and working with synonyms and antonyms.
All testing in my classes will occur this Friday as follows:
- Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll practice test on some of the sentences edited each morning in class. Click on the links for:
- –Practice sentences
- –Answer key
- Spelling. Students will test on their individualized spelling list.
- –Open Court spelling words (remember that their individualized spelling list may bear little resemblance to the Open Court spelling words)
- –Vocabulary words
- Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test.
- –Business is Looking Up (study guide is not available online this week. Students may, however, take their textbook home).