First quarter ends this Friday, October 17. Look for missing assignments on your student’s progress reports.
Science fair is December 4. This Wednesday, I will be sending out a packet concerning the Legacy Academy science fair (all information included in the packet is also available online right this minute). Some paperwork will need to be returned by this Friday.
Please remember that in order to view and print almost anything on the fourth grade website, you must download a copy of Adobe Reader. This the Adobe Reader download site for most versions of Windows operating systems. If you cannot find a version compatible with your computer, we have to talk.
Every Monday, parents should look for these two things:
- *This Week’s Assignments (in the sidebar on the right), and
- the current issue of my classroom newsletter, Mr. T’s Tattler
Star of the Week. Wednesday, October 15: Zach. Each star will need to talk briefly about the photographs and artifacts they bring in to share and field questions from the crowd. Next week’s Star is Matthew L.
Math 65. Problem sets 34 – 37 and supplemental practice worksheets 34 and 36 will be due as homework this week. They will test this Friday.
- Missing assignments through last Friday have been entered as zero grades on their Math 65 progress reports. They have until the end of the week to turn them in.
Daily Oral Language (DOL). Students edit two sentences daily in class and will test on some of the same sentences each Friday. Additionally, students will edit two similar sentences weekly for a quiz grade (to see if they can apply their newfound editing knowledge).
Spelling. Students take a 20 word pretest from Open Court every Friday or Monday. On the following Friday, students test only upon the words they misspelled on the pretest plus words at their spelling level as determined by their Morrison-McCall test results (several kids spell well beyond the fourth grade age level). This means every student has an individualized spelling list each week of 10 to 20 words. A copy of their list is sent home in their Monday Folder and a duplicate list kept at school.
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
Shurley Grammar. No testing this week, however, students will be classifying sentences and working with synonyms and antonyms.
All testing in my classes will occur this Friday as follows:
- Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll practice test on some of the sentences edited each morning in class. Click on the links for:
- –Practice sentences
- –Answer key
- Spelling. Students will test on their individualized spelling list.
- –Open Court spelling words (remember that their individualized spelling list may bear little resemblance to the Open Court spelling words)
- –Vocabulary words
- Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test.
- –Food from the “Hood: A Garden of Hope (study guide online)