No school for students this Friday.
Physical education. Fourth graders will be in the gymnasium for P.E. for the next two weeks.
Please remember that in order to view and print almost anything on the fourth grade website, you must download a copy of Adobe Reader. This the Adobe Reader download site for most versions of Windows operating systems. If you cannot find a version compatible with your computer, we have to talk.
Every Monday, parents should look for these two things:
- *This Week’s Assignments (in the sidebar on the right), and
- the current issue of my classroom newsletter, Mr. T’s Tattler
Star of the Week. Wednesday, September 24: Molly. Each star will need to talk briefly about the photographs and artifacts they bring in to share and field questions from the crowd. Next week’s Star is Hannah.
Math 65. Problem sets 22 – 24 and supplemental practice worksheets 22 and 24 will be due as homework this week. They should have plenty of time in class to complete homework. They will test this Thursday.
Daily Oral Language (DOL). Students edit two sentences daily in class and will test on some of the same sentences each Friday. Additionally, students will edit two similar sentences weekly for a quiz grade (to see if they can apply their newfound editing knowledge).
A copy of the practice sentences with an answer key are available every Monday. Each night, to reinforce your student’s learning, ask s/he to edit that day’s two sentences again which you can correct using the answer key (this work never has to be turned into me). Parents should familiarize themselves with the proofreading markings which will be used for the remainder of the year (these marks will be utilized when I edit any student’s written work).
Spelling. Students take a 20 word pretest from Open Court every Friday or Monday. On the following Friday, students test only upon the words they misspelled on the pretest plus words at their spelling level as determined by their Morrison-McCall test results (several kids spell well beyond the fourth grade age level). This means every student has an individualized spelling list each week of 10 to 20 words. A copy of their list is sent home in their Monday Folder and a duplicate list kept at school.
Vocabulary. All students take a five word vocabulary test every Friday.
Shurley Grammar. No testing this week, however, students will be classifying sentences and working with synonyms and antonyms.
All testing in my classes will occur this Thursday as follows:
- Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll practice test on some of the sentences edited each morning in class. Click on the links for:
- –Practice sentences
- –Answer key
- Spelling. Students will test on their individualized spelling list.
- –Open Court spelling words (remember that their individualized spelling list may bear little resemblance to the Open Court spelling words)
- –Vocabulary words
- Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It is always an “open book” test.
- –Daedalus and Icarus (study guide online)