No school for students this Friday means their weekly test preparation time has been reduced by a full day. Because of the shortened week, all study guides including new spelling and vocabulary word lists are available online now.
Summer birthdays party. If your student had, or will have, a summer birthday, we’re celebrating them en masse on Thursday instead of our regular Fun Friday. All treats will be supplied.
Every Monday, parents should look for these two things:
- *This Week’s Assignments (in the sidebar on the right), and
- the current issue of my classroom newsletter, Mr. T’s Tattler
Absolutely no nuts, raspberries, or pineapple in the classroom at anytime. This includes products your kids bring in daily for their snack. Airborne particles and residue on hands, clothing, desks, and in waste containers are of dire concern. Thanks for your help.
No Fun Thursday this week.
Math 54. Problem sets 26 – 29 and supplemental worksheets 26 and 28 will be due as homework this week. No testing this week.
Daily Oral Language (DOL). Students edit two or three sentences daily in class and will test on the same sentences this Thursday. Additionally, students will edit and rewrite two similar sentences weekly for a quiz grade (to see if they can apply their newfound editing knowledge).
Spelling. Students take a 20 word pretest every Monday. On Thursday, students test only upon the words they misspelled on the Monday pretest. They will be exempted from the Thursday test if their pretest score is at least 95% (i.e., they misspell one or fewer words).
Vocabulary. Students take a five word pretest every Monday. They will be exempted from the Thursday test if their pretest score is perfect.
Shurley Grammar. If time allows, students will continue classifying sentences and working with synonyms and antonyms. Regardless, there will be no testing this week.
All testing in my classes will occur this Thursday as follows:
- Daily Oral Language (DOL). They’ll test on the sentences edited each morning in class. Click on the links for:
- –Practice sentences
- –Answer key (available online now)
- Spelling. Students will test only upon the words they misspell on Monday’s pretest. They will be exempted if their pretest score is at least 95%.
- –Spelling list (available online now)
- Vocabulary. A pretest will be given on Monday. Students will be exempted if their pretest score is perfect.
- –Vocabulary words (available online now)
- Open Court. The reading comprehension exam will be comprised of short answer and multiple choice questions. It will be an “open book” test.
- –Mae Jemison, Space Scientist (available online now)